In this balsamic baked veggie salad, baked vegetables top a fresh green salad for a easy, and satisfying twist on a typical summer salad. I don’t know why I never thought to put cooked vegetables on salad before, but the contrast of the crisp greens with the savory vegetables was really quite nice. A typical light salad becomes hearty with savory baked vegetables.
In Greece, seasonal vegetables are very cheap, and of course very fresh! Something I love about Greece is that everyone has a garden. In fact, the zucchini I used in this salad came from the garden right outside my door.
For this salad I used cauliflower, red pepper, corn, zucchini, and sweet potato; you can use whatever vegetables you like here, just be mindful of the time each one will need to cook, as some may take longer than others and should be added to the mix at different times.
Here is the recipe, for this simple, healthy, and delicious dish:
- 1 Zucchini
- ½ Sweet Potato
- ½ Cauliflower
- 1 red Pepper
- ¼ cup Corn
- Lettuce for the salad (I mixed spinach and romaine)
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Water
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces.
- Cut the zucchini and sweet potato into thin rounds.
- Cut the pepper into strips.
- Place the vegetables in a baking dish and toss them in the oil, vinegar, and a little bit of water.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Add in the corn, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- In the meantime wash and chop the green salad and place in a bowl.
- Once the veggies are tender, top the salad with the mixture and drizzle with a little more balsamic and oil if you like, and sprinkle on some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Tell me what you think! Which vegetables would make your baked salad perfect?