Today’s healthy travel recipe is spinach and white bean soup. This easy recipe is packed full of iron, protein, and fiber, and will keep you going all day long. Plus it’s simple, easy, and ridiculously cheap, yet full of flavor.
For this recipe you have two options, you can use canned beans, which are ideal for a speedy meal with no preparation. Or, you can use dry beans as I did, which always taste better, and are actually even cheaper, but they require that you soak them over night, and take more time to cook.
Either way, this soup is simple to make with just a few ingredients, and will cost you almost nothing to make! Plus, it is made in just one pot, which means less cleanup, and more time to enjoy your travels!
- 1-2 Bunches of Spinach
- 1½ cup dry White Beans or 2 cans White Beans
- 8 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 3 tbsp dry Thyme (optional)
- If using dry beans, soak the beans in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Chop the onion, and place it in the pot with 1 tbsp cooking oil.
- Saute the onion until soft and translucent.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot.
- Add the beans to the pot. and bring the soup to a boil. If using dry beans, reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until beans are tender. If using canned beans, allow them to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Once the beans are cooked, chop the spinach and add it to the pot.
- Add the dried thyme to the pot if using.
- Allow the spinach to cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Would you try this soup while traveling? Or at home?