This easy, meatless taco rice dish is excellent for lunch or for dinner. I guess I really love this dish because it is pretty much my chipotle order, made at home, but it is also a very satisfying, easy, and fresh meal that packs up well the next day.
The nice thing about this taco rice is that it is easily modifiable to suit any taste, and it is a great way to use up those bits and ends of produce in your fridge. For me, black beans, avocado, tomatoes, and a few crunchy vegetables are what I like in my tacos. But what do you like in yours? Corn? Pinto Beans? Hot salsa? Crumbled corn chips? Those ingredients could easily, and deliciously be added here to your taco rice. Taco rice can also be modified for different tastes in the family by mixing in different ingredients into each individual dish. You could also make a taco bar, and allow the kids to choose their own veggies and toppings. The possibilities are endless!
What would you add to this rice to make it your own?
- 2 cups dry Brown Rice
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 red Onion
- 1 can/box Black Beans
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 1 bell Pepper (I used orange for color)
- 2 Avocados
- ¼ cup Lime Juice (about 2-3 fresh limes)
- 1 tsp Salt
- Cook the rice according to package directions in water, or in vegetable stock for extra flavor.
- Chop all the veggies into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Chop the cilantro and place with veggies.
- Drain and rinse the black beans, and place with the veggies.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix the rice with the other ingredients.
- Mix in lime juice, and salt, adding more to taste if necessary.
- Eat warm, or chill in the refrigerator for about 4 hours and serve cold.