I feel like I have been mildly neglecting my blog lately, as my work schedule has been hectic this summer, I think, as I type this post semi-frantically before heading to yoga (who knew my hobbies could be a full time “job”). But as school begins next week, I will be back to work o my blog, sharing a lot of summer travel posts, and some more complicated recipes that simply take more time to post! And since I feel like I have been sort of neglecting my readers, I am going to share one of the best things I have made lately, vegan ricotta. What is even more exciting is that this “cheese” is part of the “best dish I have ever made,” homemade vegan ravioli with pesto and “ricotta.”
This vegan ricotta cheese, made from cashews, and few simple ingredients is so good, you will never know there is no dairy involved! It was so creamy, and delicious over pasta, that had to think twice about eating it, even though I made it only moments before. I was like wait, should I be eating this? Is there dairy in this? Nope there is not, but feed it to any cheese eater, and they will never ever know! I guarantee it.
I got the idea for this recipe from BoldVegan.com, a self described witty blog with a number of to the point, delicious, vegan recipes. I did modify this a bit, because mine came out creamy at first, and not as cheesy. The recipe calls for a cup of cashews soaked, and when adding in the lemon juice, I added a bit too much, and my cashew cheese was more like a cream sauce. So, I added in another 1/4 cup of raw, un-soaked cashews as an attempt to fix my cream sauce, and it worked! I blended it until smooth, and the cashew cheese became thick and a tiny bit textured, just like ricotta. YUM. The recipe is simple, and the ingredients are too, so get to it!
Mmmm Cashew Cheesey!
- 1¼ cup Cashews
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp Water
- Soak 1 cup of cashews for about 2 hours in hot water, reserving ¼ cup cashews, raw.
- Once the cashews are soaked, rinse them and place in the food processor.
- Add in lemon juice, and salt, and blend until smooth.
- Slowly add in water, and the mixture adding in more if necessary, so the mixture will become creamy, but not watery.
- Add in the remaining ¼ cup cashews, and pepper, and blend until well incorporated, ad the mixture becomes ricotta cheese like.
- Garnish with some ground black pepper, or some parsley, or both, and enjoy!