This baked egg dish is full of protein, from the spinach, the chickpeas, and the eggs, and is ample enough to feed the whole family.
To me, chickpeas, spinach, and tomatoes are a classic combination, and the eggs really tie this one-pan dish together. Reminiscent of Shakshuka, poached eggs over spicy tomato sauce, which is made in a frying pan, this baked egg dish is even heartier, and it’s fool-proof. Sometimes frying sunny side up eggs, or poaching them over a dish can turn into a mess, but baking this dish allows for the eggs to easily set, with minimal effort.
This baked eggs recipe is also very easy and cheap to make, plus the end result looks so pretty! I put this together with some ingredients I had around the house, so you may even have the ingredients on hand already to make this for lunch or dinner today! If you don’t have sauce, this can be made with a can of tomatoes, just use some extra seasonings like basil and oregano to add some flavor to the tomatoes. Try it out, and let me know what you think!
- 4 Eggs
- 1 can/box Chickpeas (Garbonzo Beans)
- 1 cup Chopped Spinach
- ½ cup Chopped Chives
- 2 cups Tomato Sauce
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Drain and rinse the can of chick peas.
- In a sauce pan, combine chickpeas, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
- Cook on medium for about 5 minutes.
- Chop spinach and chives, reserving about 2 tbsp chives for garnish.
- Add in the spinach and chives and cook for another 2 minutes until spinach slightly wilts.
- Move this mixture to a baking dish.
- Crack four eggs, or more if you desire, over the dish.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until eggs set.
- Garnish with chives, serve and enjoy!