I made this spring spiral salad with a vegan, cilantro, lime dressing after receiving a brand new kitchen appliance!I recently got a “spirilaizer.” It is a cheap, hend-held device that allows you to make spiral vegetable strips. The one I purchased was the Briefton’s Spiral Slicer, it was cheap enough, had good reviews, and seemed to be pretty simple to use. Upon it’s arrival, it didn’t come with directions, so I tried cutting up the veggies and using the lid but that didn’t really work. But thanks to You-Tube, I figured out how to use this thing, (you put the long vegetable in and spin it around by hand) I was able to make some pretty little vegetable noodles out of cucumber, and zucchini.
What you do to use the spiral slicer is put the whole vegetable into the open area, and then turn the vegetable by hand. When the piece you are turning gets too small, you can put the top on the slicer and finish slicing most of the vegetable. The only thing about this device is that it doesn’t cut the whole vegetable so you are left with a weird cone shaped end of whatever you were spiral slicing. I tried to slice a bell pepper and that didn’t work either.
Round, hard, vegetables seem to work best in this machine. But for under $20, this was a good buy. So with my spiral slicer, I made a spiral salad with a cilantro lime dressing. I sliced zucchini, and cucumber, and then sliced some bell pepper thin with a knife to replicate the julienned effect. For the dressing, I wanted to veganize the bottled version found at Trader Joes. Their version uses egg and cream, but to make this dressing creamy, I used cashews, and it came out much better, in my opinion.
- For the Salad:
- 2 Cucumbers
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Bell Pepper (yellow for color contrast)
- 8-10 Grape Tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tbsp Pine Nuts
- For the Dressing:
- ⅓ cup Cashews
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 4 Chives (minced reserving a tbsp or so for garnish)
- 2-3 tbsp Water
- 1 clove Garlic
- To make the salad: Spiralize your cucumber and zucchini (if you don't have a spiral slicer, just julienne) and place them on a paper towel to drain. Julienne the bell pepper and add to the mix. Halve your tomatoes and place in another bowl as it will be used on top of the salad as garnish. Set aside while you make the dressing.
- To make the dressing: Add cashews and garlic to food processor. Pulse a few times until garlic and cashews are finely chopped Add in the lime juice, and turn processor on. Through the feed and begin to add water until the mixture is creamy.
- Once the cashew cream is ready, Add in the cilantro and chives, reserving a few chives for garnish. Pulse about 10 times, until the herbs are well incorporated.
- Your dressing will look like this.
- To assemble: Toss the cucumber, zucchini and bell peppers in the dressing. Garnish with the halved tomatoes, reserved chives, and pine nuts. Serve cold.
Recipe inspiration: My Best Badi, Fork and Beans